While my post yesterday came from the heart, it wasn’t really what is at the forefront of my mind right now.
He first came to my attention when he was only 6 weeks old. I had been experiencing problems leaving the security of my home and got to thinking a dog might give me the kick up the butt that I so much needed.
He was one of about 7 puppies. What caught my attention was, not only is he smaller and cheekier than the other puppies, those ears looked enormous against his little body. Feeling uncertain that a Jack Russell is suitable for a person experiencing Agoraphobia, I decided against it.
Of course, what’s meant for us, will never go by. Approximately 6 weeks later, the breeder got in touch. Nobody had wanted the BIG-eared puppy. All his siblings had found new owners but the runt of the litter was now going ‘free to a good home’.
He is so overly friendly with everyone and adores children. Everybody knows and loves wee Jack
Yes, it has helped my depression and Agoraphobia and maybe I would not be sitting here today with such a willingness to change, had Jack not come to stay.
I told the story in a previous post “when our pets are ill”, about how we were out walking one day when suddenly he stopped dead in his tracks and refused to walk again for about 6 weeks. All he wanted to do was sleep.
Since then, with a low fat diet and medication, he has been picking up. We’re back to walking 1.5 hrs in the morning, but he goes down in the afternoon, particularly after food.
I took him to the vet yesterday morning. They are certain that Jack has liver disease. The only way of knowing exactly what kind, and the prognosis, is by doing a biopsy.
Here is my dilemma… It is significant surgery. His entire abdomen will be open to locate the liver and do a biopsy. The vet thinks he is fit enough to recover quickly. However, I cannot help but doubt such invasive surgery is right for a little dog that might only live another few months. The Vets counter-argument suggests this might be something that is treatable for the near future. However, he will not know unless we do the biopsy.
Part of me would rather know what the future holds, but another part worries in case it makes – what could be – his final months a misery. On the other hand, a treatment option might transpire.
It feels like a gamble. I’m inclined to seek a second opinion before giving it much more consideration, but I will appreciate hearing what other people think.